Sunday, March 04, 2007

I've never seen so many Australian flags...

To set the scene...

In December 2005, the Cronulla riots occurred, ostensibly a conflict between Anglo Australians and Lebanese Australians. At the Big Day Out in January 2006, overt displays of the Australian flag seemed to cause outbreaks of violence. In 2007, the organizers of the Big Day Out announced that, in the interests of public safety, display of the Australian flag would be banned. There was widespread outrage from all and sundry and the organisers were forced to back down. Needless to say at the Big Day out on January 25, 2007 Australian flags were everywhere to be seen. Likewise, the same was true everywhere else on the next day - Australia Day.

Yet, I don't think I have seen as many Australian flags as I did tonight.

The twist is this: tonight was Mardi Gras. And all the flags -- and I really mean all -- were pink.

Brilliant!

1 Comments:

Blogger The Local Malcontent said...

Nothing displays National Pride like pink flags, I always say. that'll teach those Lebanese Australians; how many of the Leadership Conference gathering did you witness carrying pink Australian flags? Not one, I bet! way too uptight for that....

4 March 2007 at 05:23  

Post a Comment

<< Home